ON CHILDREN 孩子
And a woman who held a babe against her 一位怀抱着婴儿的妇女说道:请和我们说
bosom said, Speak to us of Children. 说关于孩子的事。
And he said : 他于是说道:
Your children are not your children . 孩子实际上都不是“你们的”孩子。
They are the sons and daughters of 他们乃是生命为自己所渴望的儿女。
Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you, 他们只是经你们而生,并非从你们而来。
And though they are with you, yet they 他们虽与你们同在,却不属于你们。
belong not to you .
You may give them your love but not 你们可以给予他们的,是你们的爱而不是
your thoughts. For they have their own 思想,因为他们有自己的思想。
thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their 你们所能荫庇的,是他们的身体而不是他
souls,For their souls dwell in the house of 们的灵魂。
tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even 因为他们的灵魂居于明日的世界,那是你
in your drdams. 们在梦中也无法探访的地方。
You may strive to be like them,but seek 你们可以努力地去模仿他们,但是,不要
not to make them like you. 企图要他们像你。
For life goes not backward nor tarries 因为岁月无法倒流,生命也不会停滞于昨
with yesterday . 日。
You are the bows from which your child 你们是弓,而孩子就像从弦上向前射出的、
-ren as living arrows are sent forth. 有生命的箭。
The archer sees the mark upon the path 射箭者看见了苍茫路途中的目标便用力将
of the infinite. and He bends you with His 你弯曲----拉满弓,以使手中的箭射得又快
might that His arrows may go swift and far. 又远。
Let your bending in the archer's hand 应为射箭者所成就的一切而欢欣喜悦;
be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that 因为他不仅爱那射出的飞箭,也爱手中握
files, so He loves also the bow that is 着的、稳固的弓。
stable. |